i'd quit D3 right after RoS and came back at mid of S20 and currently i'm waiting for S21. But its weird. I played wizard main before RoS and then i'd quit because Blizzard ruined the whole game with RoS by adding those +10000% damage bullsh!t.
Now i played the game in S20 (all classes) and ... well. There is some build diversity because there are 2 Sets or 1 Set and 1 LoD build for each class. But thats all. But there is something which is the worst part of the game because.... most of this was already bad/stupid pre-RoS and blizzard didnt redesign those legacy design issues.
This post is not about changing the whole system (items and skills) in Diablo 3. Its brocken, bad, stupid. And it will always be! This post as about fixing some greater issues so that this mediocre system will be more consistent. I would still prefer a better system, but therefore we will get D4 (hopefully). I just want to fix Diablo 3 because D4 will be released in maybe ~1-2 years and i would like to have a better D3 until the release of D4.
In my opinion there are 2 major issues in D3: Skills and items.
In this post i will give examples and suggestions and ill use the wizard for this because this is the class i played most (by far). This is just an example. Because all classes have the same problems.
Most of them are useless crap. Since ... 6+ years now.
Examples? Lets have a look at the wizard's skills
(other classes have similar problems, but i think the wizard has the worst skills in the game).
- Ray of Frost. Useless. Just used in some builds to increase the damage of other skills (deathwish). Nobody is using ray of frost to do some damage. Nobody.
- Solution? Increase damage of most runes, add a chance to freeze for all runes.
- Sleet Storm should pull in enemies which are in a 30yard radius (just move them slowly towards the player, like a slower version of black hole). Sleet storm size should be 20 yards fix. Damage should be around 800% per second. Slowing enemies. Enemies inside sleet storm may move and attack normally (but chilled). Make it like a permanent soft frost nova.
- Arcane Orb: This skill is a perfect example of bad game design! All runes are 100% useless except frozen orb. Frozen orb does 2-4 times more damage than other runes. The scorch rune is still 100% useless because it's exploding somewhere else. Blizzard did not even try(!) to make all runes useful.
- scorch should explode on contact. Just like Fireball.
- all damage should be higher (at least on current frost orb level)
- arcane orbit should be bigger and it should deal more damage.
- Arcane torrent: Flame ward is used in some builds for deathwish or zodiac ring. Not for damage. Damage of this skill is just low, there are no good items to increase the damage. Death blossom is useless since DAY1!
- increase damage
- death blossom should fire projectiles at random enemies, not towards random positions. If there is only one enemy, this enemies will be always hit by all projectiles. Make it a boss killer if there is just a single target.
- static discharge should be the trash killer. More damage, more projectiles jumping between enemies. Just like creating chain lightnings at the first target.
- Disintegrate: Again just used to trigger deathwish. Just useless. All runes. Low damage compared to other skills. And all those channel-spells have a huge drawback: players must play more stationary. This is a high risk. Blizzard, do you remember? "High risk = high reward". But in D3 is just: High risk = no reward.
- more damage. 500% at start, going up to 1500% after 2 seconds.
- Entropy area should be bigger.
- Frost nova: long cooldown. Just freezing. Wow. Not! Frozen mist rune does almost zero damage. Bone chill is mediocre. Should i really waste one slot for this? NO!
- lower the cooldown overall, increase area. Enemies hit by frost nova will take 33% more damage by all attacks for 2 seconds. Bone chill should increase this value to 50%. Deep freeze should add armoall res. Frozen mist should have a larger area, slightly higher cooldown because as long as enemies are hit by the mist, they still take more damage (base attribute of my new frost nova)
- Diamond skin: long cooldown. Small effect. Maybe used somewhere to stay alive at a certain point in some skill rotations. Rarely seen in archon builds. Most runes are just useless (prism, sleek shell, diamond shards) since RoS. Before RoS, this skill was used in most boom sorc builds.
- Increase base duration to 5 seconds. The rune which increases duration adds another 5sec. Prism should increase mas arcane power by 50% for the skills duration. Diamond shards: explodes on next spell with damage of next spell (what about casting a full arcane energy star pact after this? hm? Yea!)
- Slow time: There is a set for this skill. A few legendary items to get all runes and lower the cooldown. But this skill is still used rarely. Most rune's effects are just way too small. So there is a set which increases the damage of skills if slow time has been used. And this set is not used at all. What does this tell us about slow time? Hm?
- Cooldown 10sec. Increase most values.
- Teleport: just 2 runes are useful. 1 rune is sometimes used in mediocre tal rasha builds. 2 runes are 100% crap. Since day 1.
- Wormhole: removes cooldown. skill costs 15 arcane.
- fracture: enemies are forced to attack decoys first.
- Wave of force: This skill is useless since day1. All runes are just crap. Low damage, slow animation, high costs. Who designed this?!?!?!?
- base damage: 500%, costs 15 arcane. Is cast way faster (remove the supid bunny hop animation). This spell should be a main attack spell. So increase damage and effects. Think about a melee mage build using this spell and explosion with arcane orbit and diamond skin!
- Energy twister: Wtf this is even more worse than wave of force! Before RoS there were some builds. Since RoS this skill is just stupid, bad and DEAD!
- should always pull in enemies (one enemy per 1 second)
- should always travel in a line or be stational (depending of used rune)
- increase damage!
- Hydra: okay. There is a set which increases the damage by 2398423684762% ... so yea.
- Meteor: Thunder Crash is useless. Comet too. Molten impact has an insane cooldown and low damage. Wtf?! (okay, damage of thunder crash or comet is way lower...) Star pact and Comet Shower are the only(!) useful runes at least since RoS!
- remove delay, increase damage, lightning reduces cost. molten impact cooldown should be around 6 or 7 seconds.
- Blizzard: This skill was great in Diablo2. Right release after RoS Apocalypse was .... useful because there was a set. Yea. And now? This complete skill is just crap. Just write "removed blizzard skill from game" in next patchnotes and nobody would care! Really!
- Transform to a support skill with 20yard radius: enemies caught in blizzard take 20% more damage from the blizzards element. Add an arcane storm (unrelenting storm).
- Ice Armor: Wtf. Pre RoS frozen storm was used in Boom sorc builds. Yea. And now? 100%useless since RoS! Most runes effects are just bad even if we would double or triple the numbers.
- general: melee attackers are chilled, increases armor and all res by 15%. 1 rune increases defence even further, another increases cold damage, another increases movement speed (yes we glide), rune with AoE effect has 10yard radius and "in this area: all enemies take 20% more damage from all sources".
- Storm armor: Just used because there is a ring which reduces damage taken by 80%. This skill is just bad too. Increased movement speed if hit by a MELEE attack. Wtf. As a wizard? Really? And then: Some random lightning strikes with no damage? Wtf?!
- general: all lightning damage is increased by 10%, runes may increase attackspeed, move speed, decrease cooldowns (on hitting enemies by lightning strikes), ...
- Magic weapon: This is okay. Some runes need way better effects or mechanics. Its mostly a simple damage buff. Okay.
- Familiar: Icicle rune is just bad because the familiar's rate of fire and projectile speed is .... stupid since day1. Ancient guardian is just a JOKE rune. Who designed this BS?! Canoneer... wtf. Low damage. Almost no damage.
- general: increases fire and arcane damage by 10%. Runes may add additional damage%, add resistances, ... just some useful stats!
- Energy armor: Absorption runes adds a CHANCE for getting almost NOTHING when being hit? Really? And overall? Why does this skill reduce the maximum arcane energy? Well, because they added a stupid rune which is increasing arcane energy. Wow. Thats game design at its best. Pinpoint barrier was a small damage increase before RoS and now its too easy to get 50% crit chance so that additional 5% are just ... nothing. Wasting a slot for this? no way. Force armor and prismatic armor are .... okay.
- main problem of wizard: too many skills wich are the same! 3 channel spells with 5 runes each? wtf. 3 Armors skills with 5 runes each? Boring. But okay. Allow players to use multiple armors at the same time then. 1 rune may increase arcane per second (more than just 2-3 arcane/s!) another may add armoall res. Another may increase max arcane (heavily! Star pact incoming ;))
- Explosive Blast: Even with wand of woh, there is only 1(!!!) useful rune. Chain reaction. What about the other runes? Unleashed= more damage but still less damage than chain reaction. Wtf?! 3 explosions may trigger "on hit effects" more often. So if chain reaction does 520% damage per explosion, than 'unleashed' should hit with 2000% weapon damage at least! Same for other runes.
- increase damage and radius of all runes.
- Mirror Image: Not used since RoS. Just remove this skill too.
- yea wtf... dont know how to change this. Maybe as crowed control or DPS - depending to rune. Current effect are way to low. Maybe something like this: "creates a duplicate and forces all enemies in 15yard radius to go to duplacate's position and attack in melee range" ... maybe.
- Archon: Wow. This skill is special. Pre RoS blizzard changed the archon because they didnt like that players are 90% in archon form. The devs told us, they they designed so many skills (wtf? bad skills, yes!) and that they dont like to see that the players are just keeping up archon form all time. The devs ruined archon and boom sorc build (boom sorc had so many builds and used so many skills...) with RoS. And now... now we have an archon set and mechanics which allows to stay in archon form 80% of the time again while spamming shockwaves from chantodo. Wow! Amazing! I'd never understand this whole archon thing because in some point the devs were right: They designed skills while players ignore them by using only archon. Yea. But changing archon so that its just a damage bonus, a cooldown bonus or something like that? NO WAY! Instead of this they destroyed the pre RoS Archon build to create a new archon build! Incompetence at its best.
- well, just keep the archon as it is. these changes would be way more than modifying some numbers.
- Black Hole: Wow. here we got a useful skill. But: Supermassive should have higher range. Absolute Zero is okay. Event horizon is just useless and bad! Blazar is just damage which is just bad with the current item design: we stack +damage items for one skill. Black hole is an utility skill. So raw damage makes absolutely no sense at this point! Spellsteal is the better version of absolute zero. Again: most runes are just bad. Cooldown is way too long. Any much more. Why not adding a rune which allows the player to use black hole like a fireball which is sucking in all enemies in its path?
I could repeat this for all classes. Most classes have 100% useless skills or just runes which are bad designed compared to other runes. But... wizard has by far the most useless skills/runes. Since release or at least since RoS.
Blizzard didnt change anything about this. Why? WHY?
I'm really afraid of Diablo4 because blizzard is not even able to SEE their biggest mistakes which are right in front of their eyes. They add more sets with even more +238746238% damage bullsh!t in every season. But they dont fix the base game.
With RoS blizzard destroyed so many great mechanics and added nothing to compensate this.
Step1: make all skills useful. (even energy twister! come on!)
Step2: balance all runes of each skill.
Yea i hate this +15000% damage bullsh!t because it is limiting the players in creating builds. But blizzards is failing even in creating items with high numbers. Why? Well, the necro has a ton of great main/off hand items. Single legendary items which may increase the players damage by 1000% or even more (Nayr's Black Death).
And wizards have:
Winter Flurry: Enemies killed by Cold damage have a 15–20% chance to release a Frost Nova
- Light of Grace: Ray of Frost now pierces
- Singularity: Critical Hits grant 3–4 Arcane Power
- The oculus: Taking damage has up to a 15–20% chance to reset the cooldown on Teleport
- Primordial Soul: Elemental Exposure's damage bonus per stack is increased to 10%.
- Cosmic Strand: Teleport gains the effect of the Wormhole rune
- Orb of Infinite Depth: Each damaging cast of Explosive Blast increases damage done by 8-10% and decreases damage taken by 20% for 6 seconds. This effect can stack up to 4 times.
All this sources are 100% useless and then some devs looked over triumvirate:
- Triumvirate: Your Signature Spells increase the damage of Arcane Orb by 300-400% for 6 seconds, stacking up to 3 times.
So just compare those sources. What the....?!?!?!? Blizzard? Again: incompetence at its best. If they would care about their own game, they should change those items like this (well, just adding stupid +234234% damage numbers):
- Light of Grace: Ray of Frost now pierces. Ray of frost damage is creased by 500%.
- Singularity: Critical hits will cast a copy of the skill which did hit critically (this copy can not trigger this ability again)
- The oculus: Taking more than 10% of max health as damage: reduces all cooldown by 2 seconds. Taking not damage for 5 seconds: 20% cooldown reduction.
- Primordial Soul: Elemental Exposure's damage bonus per stack is increased to 30%.
- Cosmic Strand: Teleport gains the effect off all runes. The next spell after teleport does double damage.
- Orb of Infinite Depth: Each damaging cast of Explosive Blast increases damage done by 50-60% and decreases damage taken by 10% for 6 seconds. This effect can stack up to 8 times.
As you can see easily: blizzard is just increasing some numbers randomly without updating the other items.
Thats why there are so many useless legendary items, so many useless skills. Some items increase damage by 500% or 1000% and some items are still the same as pre RoS: they add +5% damage here and there and have some very special conditions.
Again: The wizard is just the best example for this bad game design. Other classes got bad legendary items too. A ton of them. But the wizard seems to be the class which has been ignored most of the time.
So please Blizzard: Clean up your game. The current state of Diablo 3 is just undeserving even for the (lower) standards of Diablo 3! And please do not create the same bad system in D4! It would be okay for me if Diablo3 would just be the bad Diablo game with high numbers. But currently Diablo3 is the Diablo game with RANDOM high numbers. Adapt old items to offer more build variety. We could create so many great LoD builds if most useless skills and items would be reworked in a quite simple way. Maybe may suggestions are way too strong, maybe may skills/items would be still useless. I dont have my own ptr, so testing would be required.
In my opinion we should have many(!) viable LoD builds. Using many different skills on each class. But this is not the case. I would like to change this. I dont want to be forced to a 6 piece set which is forcing me to use ONE skill.