Internet Manager won’t give me a price
I’m shopping for a used car. I live in the country, about 45-75 minutes from 3 dealerships of the brand who carry the car I’m interested in. I found one at a good price at one of the dealerships. I emailed the Internet Manager and asked him if the car was available. He called me back and said that yes, it was. He emailed me back with some details on the car and I told him I was interested in buying it today.
So far, so good. I told him I had financing or was open to using theirs, and wanted to know what his best and final price was and that if it was $XX,XXX (about 10% off what is listed on the dealer website), I would come down by the end of the day and buy the car with my wife but I didn’t want to drive 90 minutes total and come back with no car. I also told him if he couldn’t match my price to just let me know his best price and then I could make the decision and let him know immediately whether my wife and I would come in and buy it. I also told him I was interested in warranties, etc.
Then, things started getting weird. He told me that he would get me a price as soon as the GM was out of a meeting. I said great.
Then, he told me another customer had it out at a mechanic. I said, too bad, just let me know.
Then, he told me that customer’s financing had fallen through and would I put a $500 deposit down to give me a right of first refusal. I said I would put the deposit down if I got a price. Still, nothing.
Then, he had one of the other sales guys call me and ask for the deposit but that guy didn’t have authority to name a price. I didn’t put the deposit down.
What is going on? I figured that I was being helpful and showing interest and trying to close the deal. TBH, I might have even bought the car if he hadn’t met my price, I just wanted a price.
Now, I’m spooked that he’s just trying to get me to drive down there because the car is gone or any one of a number of things. Also, my state has terrible lemon laws, so I’m also concerned that the caprice is too good to be true (it is already aggressively priced).
Would love perspective here.
EDIT/POSTSCRIPT: He got back to me this morning and finally gave me an OTD that cut the sales price by $200 but had a bunch of fees (not taxes or government fees) that totaled almost $2,000 including a $600 doc fee. He also told me the car wasn't ready yet and had to go through maintenance (after telling me yesterday to come down and check it out). I told him I would talk to my wife and get back to him. Then he e-mailed me and told me the car sold.
submitted by finsta_1144