[Build Help] How big of an SSD do I really need?
Hey all thanks for reading, First off, I apologize if this has been beaten and smashed into the ground, but I failed to find the answers I was looking for.
I am basically pondering how much memory I truly need so that I don't waste money on expensive memory.
I have a 700gb HDD that is half full.
Programs used the most: OS, obviously; Chrome; MS Office; Guild Wars 2; BF3. Well I don't game very often as I am at busy with college, but I figured there would be a performance improvement nonetheless.
- I was wondering what, in your experience, kind of performance improvements of certain functions/programs have you noticed the most?
- Is it worth it to just go by with what programs I use the most and go with the amount of space it would required, or would it be beneficial to make it a primary drive?
- Should Music/Video/Picture folders be placed onto the SSD? I'm assuming whatever drive the OS is on those folders are there by default?
- Also, should desktop customizations be taken into consideration such as Objectdock/Rainmeter? Figured I'd ask since It was in my line of view.
- That being said is it really worth it to buy a 240gb+ SSD or would 120gb suffice?
Thank you for any answers!
submitted by Sugarlips_Habasi
Scans come up clean, but a few weird things happening on my computer.
Win7 Home 64-bit system. I have a Linksys router in my room connecting my desktop, laptop and media pc, then going to a NetGear router in the living room connecting to the actual internet. Needed a switch, didn't wanna spend the extra money, repurposed a router since I only have one ethernet line into my room, and needed two with the possibility to expand if I ever hook my xbox back up.
I was in a thread earlier where someone suggested the only output from arp -a should be my router. I ran that command and got this instead:
Internet Address Physical Address Type 192.168.1.1 c0-c1-c0-53-a5-c8 dynamic 192.168.1.142 00-26-2d-72-c7-66 dynamic 192.168.1.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static 22.214.171.124 01-00-5e-00-00-02 static 126.96.36.199 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static 188.8.131.52 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static 184.108.40.206 01-00-5e-00-00-fd static 220.127.116.11 01-00-5e-32-d9-05 static 18.104.22.168 01-00-5e-00-00-01 static 22.214.171.124 01-00-5e-40-98-8f static 126.96.36.199 01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa static 255.255.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
I know the *.142 is my media computer that I have a connection to. Nothing suspect. The 224.*, 230.* and 239.* addresses are unknown to me. Google suggested the 224 IP's are IANA and my computer should have no reason to talk to IANA servers, but it is.
- I will randomly have "something" run on my computer. As far as I can tell, it runs once per session but I can't tell what it is and it seems to run at random. The only signs I get something is running is a cmd icon in the taskbar and on my ObjectDock program. It's there for less than a second and gone again.
- I will have manually shut down every program I started, and still when I go to shut down I will get "Waiting for programs" dialog, but it's blank. Again, random. Sometimes it will shut down as normal.
- I opened my downloads folder to move files, and found "19945826170296660.bin" with a VLC icon on it. It's a 20kb file, both Avast! and Spybot S&D say it's nothing, but it's not something I downloaded.
- When I open properties for said *.bin file, there's an "Account Unkown(S-1-5-21-801026340-1152486111-3333975264-1004) user that has full control on that file and it's shared with uuid:10000000-0000-0000-0200-00224821... Created 5/18/13, modified 5/19/13, but I've never seen it before tonight.
I run MBAM regularly, Avast! is updated and scans regularly, and I installed and ran Spybot today. They all say my system is clean. MBAM was installed in Safe Mode, Avast! was one of the first things I installed when I bought the computer. I did install Spybot in normal mode, but you'd think one of my other programs would have flagged a virus if there was one.
I've also done a wireshark capture, but I have no idea how to read the capture.
- Note: After posting this, I'm going to boot into safe mode and start another MBAM scan and go to sleep, so there will be no replies for around 8-10 hours, but any help is appreciated as I've never seen these symptoms before and I wanna make sure everything is still clean/good on my system.
submitted by Detached09