Have all of your commonly used utilities available on all of your machines, always in sync and updated.
I have a nice little set of frequently used utilities that I am always setting up when I am using a different PC or laptop for work. These include 7-zip, PuTTY, WinSCP, a development environment, Notepad++, Chrome, skype, a host of disk utilities that I am always digging around for... etc. Since I work from different machines at home and in my office, in the Data Center, at clients, etc. I used to carry a thumb drive that had everything I needed... but that drive would get outdated, and if I did update, I would have to go around to all of the machines I found myself at and resynch up.With the 50+ utilities I have, that could be 250-300 installs on just 5-6 machines.
Thanks to cloud storage, I don't have to do that anymore.
- Sign up for a cloud storage service ( for example 20GB free at copy.com ) If you use that link I get some additional cloud storage so your help is appreciated. If you would prefer not to help me, just go to copy.com, dropbox.com, google drive... or wherever your preferred vendor is.
- Go to PortableApps.com and download and install in a directory which is being synched with your cloud storage provider . You can now pick out the utilities and tools that you need most and get them in "portable" format (a format which doesn't require an install).
- Now on all your machines that you have your cloud storage agent, all of your portable apps are magically installed. If you update an app on one machine, it is updated on all machines.
- Add a shortcut to the portableapps executable in your startup folder. Now you will always have access to your tools wherever you are. I prefer to just pin it to my taskbar in Windows 7.
- Periodically make a backup to a USB drive, for those times when you have a machine that you can't install portableapps on, or is not connected to the Internet. This also helps speed up synching if you are putting it on a machine for the first time.
Gone now is the time spent looking at the random workstation I find myself in front of in our server room trying to see if it has an editor I like to use. No more looking for a disk utility like WinDirStat or a disk defragger at my parent's house. And at no time do any of these applications cruft up the registry and list of installed apps on these machines. Cleanup is a breeze... if I am at a client's machine, my whole set of preferred tools is there for me... and gone just as easily.
Here is a list of what I keep installed on mine (takes up about 2.4GB total) I would love suggestions for what I might be missing.
| || || |
|2XClient ||7-ZipPortable ||AntRenamerPortable |
|AudacityPortable ||BalabolkaPortable ||BareTail |
|BleachBitPortable ||CamStudioPortable ||CCleanerPortable |
|CDExPortable ||cdrtfePortable ||ChecksumControlPortable |
|CommandPromptPortable ||CommonFiles ||CookTimerPortable |
|CopyTrans ||CPUZ ||CrystalDiskInfoPortable |
|CrystalDiskMarkPortable ||CSVed ||DaphnePortable |
|DefragglerPortable ||DiaPortable ||DiskCleanerPortable |
|DSynchronizePortable ||DVDStylerPortable ||EKeyfinder |
|EraserDropPortable ||EraserPortable ||EvincePortable |
|FileZillaPortable ||FirefoxPortable ||freacPortable |
|FreemindPortableBeta ||FrhedPortable ||GIMPPortable |
|GoogleChromePortable ||gVimPortable ||InfraRecorderPortable |
|InkscapePortable ||JavaPortableLauncher ||JkDefragPortable |
|LightScreenPortable ||MiniSFTPServerPortable ||MnemosynePortable |
|NetScan ||Notepad++Portable ||NSISPortable |
|oop ||OpenOfficePortable ||PaintDotNetPortable |
|PeerBlockPortable ||Portable Cobian 9 ||PortableApps Launcher |
|PortableApps.com ||PortableApps.comAppCompactor ||PortableApps.comInstaller |
|PortableApps.comLauncher ||PuTTYPortable ||RecuvaPortable |
|regfromapp ||RevoUninstallerPortable ||Show Desktop |
|SkypePortable ||SmartDefragPortable ||SongbirdPortable |
|SpeedCrunchPortable ||SpybotPortable ||Strawberry Perl |
|SumatraPDFPortable ||SysinternalsSuite ||SystemExplorerPortable |
|TeamViewerPortable ||Tipp10Portable ||TypeFasterPortable |
|UltraEditPortable ||UltraVNCViewer Portable ||uniCSVed |
|uTorrentPortable ||VirtualDubPortable ||VirtualVolumesViewPortable |
|VLCPortable ||WinDirStatPortable ||WinMergePortable |
|WinMTRPortable ||WinSCPPortable ||WiresharkPortable |
|XAMPP ||XnViewPorta || |
submitted by zyzzogeton
Best Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Anti-Malware Programs for W10 New Laptop?
I plan to buy a new laptop, with Windows 10 installed on it already, and wanted to know which programs for virus, spyware, and malware, fighting are good to get, for FREEBIES go. Here are some of my old programs I've used -
360 Total Secruity
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
Apowersoft Phone Manager
CopyTrans Control Center
Any Video Converter
Camtasia Studio 8
VLC media player
7-Zip File Manager
Acrobat Reader DC
Teamspeak 2 RC2
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pokemong Trading Card Game
Should I keep these or get rid of them for other versions? I want to make sure this new laptop has the right and good programs this time around.
submitted by napy666