I am not a writer, I am not a professional, I don't live in the US. I am just a concerned citizen and I want to talk to everyone but what is going on.
The following eight paragraphs are a summary of the most important events I cover in this post. It is really long, but I encourage you to read these next eight paragraphs at least, so you understand what is happening to your private information right now. After these eight paragraphs I provide a bit more of an expanded view and a lot of source information if you are enjoying the read or if you are sceptical. I encourage you to do your own research and if you have any suggestions or feedback please add to the discussion for us all to share.
We need to change the way we view our personal information and privacy and how it affects the world around us. It starts today with simply being aware of what is going on so we can take a proactive approach to reducing the amount of data we share with companies. Facebook is now a surveillance tool and we need to realise when it is being used against us. If you want to check out how to delete your account and skip the rest, you can follow this link: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/how-to-delete-facebook-account-2950145
Cambridge Analytica is a company that has been illegitimately accessing private information and Facebook has known about this since as early as 2014. Cambridge Analytica has allegedly built up to 50 million 'psychographic profiles' that they use to target us with political advertising and much more. Christopher Wylie, who helped found Cambridge Analytica and recently blew the whistle on CA has said using the tool, they could find out our "inner demons". He described the experiment as "grossly unethical."
Using the collected data Cambridge Analytica also created political strategies for their clients, manipulating political scandals involving their clients' opponents using hired actors, sex workers, spies and subcontractors. They attempt to sway their voter bases, and offer political bribery and tampering as a service to use as blackmail. It is very likely this data and these strategies are shared with other entities such as the Internet Research Agency who were indicted in February by the FBI for their meddling in the 2016 election. You can view Alexander Nix, founder and CEO of Cambridge Analytica, admitting to this in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpbeOCKZFfQ
Facebook acted as the platform for Cambridge Analytica to both harvest the data, and as one of the many advertising platforms used to sway public opinion and get officials elected. This is not limited to the UK and U.S. at all, as they also mention clients from several other countries in the video. This video is part 2 in a 5 part undercover investigation, of which part 3 is now released revealing Cambridge Analytica’s ties to the Trump campaign during the 2016 election.
Facebook were complacent and they did not give users appropriate disclosure or control over the setting to prevent their friends from their sharing their personal information on their behalf with third party developers.This gave birth to a tool that has been used to "manipulate entire countries", one of the creators claim. It was a simple quiz app that 270,000 people consented to using, sharing those users entire friends lists’ raw profiles, subsequently leading to the leak of the private data belonging to 50 million people due to hidden permissions in the app.
On Facebook and other social media platforms, we have existed inside our own political echo chambers, constantly fed paid tailored news and information, both true and false, that resonate with our beliefs and morals and empower us to stand tall and align with our political sports team, chanting their name from the grand-stands so loud we can't actually hear what's going on. This goes for both the left and the right - we are all guilty of it. We need to come together and see that this is larger than team politics - it is a global security crisis and so many nations are not prepared to begin the next stage of information warfare. We as a society are majorly uninformed about good security practice, so before I leave Facebook myself I will share a bunch of my personal security tips on my page.
There are political and very likely non-political interests, both foreign and national, in keeping us divided instead of united to find global solutions to the problems we face as a planet, such as how we deal with a global data crisis. Governments around the world need to hold these companies accountable for interfering in electoral processes, undermining our - say, and using our data without our permission to do so, instead of using these very tools and companies for their own political agendas.
As investigations continue, I am sure we will see more light shed on the tools Cambridge Analytica were using, the scope of their work, the 2016 U.S. election, entire countries national security held to ransom and undermined by young app developers, information warfare, big data and dirty politics. Below I will expand on my reasons for my claims and why you should care. If you have read this far, thanks for sticking with me. I don’t have much of a political education and I don’t understand a lot of the economic powers that motivate these kinds of political agendas, but I do have a pretty solid understanding of technology and security, and how it was used against us by Cambridge Analytica and our good friends, Facebook.
Connecting the dots.
I will start with a fairly vague yet sinister quote from the world's latest techno-super villain:
"These are things that don't necessarily need to be true as long as they're believed." - Alexander Nix, Cambridge Analytica Founder
As I began writing this article, Alexander Nix was the CEO of Cambridge Analytica. He has since been suspended pending a full investigation after an undercover investigation was revealed on Channel 4 in the U.K. This highlights how rapidly the case is moving and how important it is to stay up to date with the revelations unfolding right now. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/ma20/cambridge-analytica-suspends-ceo-alexander-nix
We are living in an informational/psychological warfare era that utilizes our own information against us, and it is a direct result of our own actions. Throughout this post and my future posts, I will touch base on personal privacy, accountability, some things to watch out for online and some tips to protect yourself moving forward. I want you to walk away with the ability to question everything I wrote and find answers for yourself.
If you are a Black Mirror fan, this is the real life thing, happening right now before eyes, and we have all been apathetic in allowing it to become our reality. If you have read 1984 and you can resonate with 'Big Brother' then please keep reading to try and get a grasp on how Orwellian our reality is right now, and how we are losing grip of more and more personal freedoms and privacy for the sake of convenience.
I will admit now there will be hints of political bias in here but I have nothing against anyone with beliefs that differ from mine. I have a problem with democracy being undermined and the small people having their vote or say taken away, altered or tampered with through a criminal process. Our vote is the only real method we have in expressing our political beliefs, how we believe our world should be structured and who we believe best fit to captain the ship. I have a huge interest in personal security and privacy and think it is important to help others connect the dots so they can understand what is at stake, so they know how their data was used and so they can make an informed decision as to whether to continue sharing it or not.
Most importantly, I believe all of us have been complacent in this process, through ignorance, lack of education, apathy and having faith in devious corporations. I have joked about Facebook grossly invading our privacy in the past, but now it's actually happened on a scale I couldn’t quite believe until I learned about their involvement in the Cambridge Analytica story that unfolded over the last week.
Facebook is under criminal investigation.
A few hours ago it was announced Mark Zuckerberg has been asked to hop on a plane and travel to London to speak before MPs in regards to an ongoing investigation surrounding Cambridge Analytica illegally harvesting raw data from up to 50 million Facebook profiles.
Zuckerberg is accused of previously having given "misleading" evidence to Parliament and "consistently understated the risk" of user data being used without their consent.
Approximately 270,000 users consented to using an app through Facebook's' platform that offered personality predictions for users. They would complete a questionnaire survey that gave the user a personality score. Users were advised in very small print that the information was being collected for academic purposes. When installing the application, it asked for permissions that granted the application access not only to the user’s personal information, but the personal information of the user’s entire friends list. Depending on when you set up your account, this data could have been shared since as early as 2007.
The ability to control this setting was hidden from users, so they had no control over the data being shared with Cambridge Analytica. It appears Facebook has known about this setting since as early as 2015, as Christopher Wylie of Cambridge Analytica had a letter from Facebook’s own lawyers admitting that Cambridge Analytica had acquired the data illegitimately, despite claiming they did not know about the "breach."
These profiles could potentially include both your profile and mine, our friends, family members and children. Up until quite recently, we literally had no say or control, other than to delete Facebook completely. Even then, can we trust Facebook to delete our profiles completely?
On a side note, Facebook recently announced it was going to start censoring fake news. On the surface this looks fantastic but you have to question the timing and how this is going to allow them to make sure this news about Cambridge Analytica doesn't spread too far and kill their stock value. Who decides what is fake news? Facebook have shown us they are simply untrustworthy.
Here is the latest Independent article on the matter: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-mps-evidence-cambridge-analytica-data-breach-latest-updates-a8264906.html
- UK Parliament summons Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg to be questioned over Cambridge Analytica scandal
Here are some more links about the case: https://www.wyden.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/wyden-cambridge-analytica-to-facebook.pdf
- Letter from U.S. Senate to Mark Zuckerberg addressing Cambridge Analytica's data collection https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/ma17/cambridge-analytica-facebook-influence-us-election
- Revealed: 50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica in major data breach - The Guardian http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43474760
- Cambridge Analytica: Facebook boss summoned over data claims - BBC https://www.smh.com.au/technology/how-cambridge-analytica-harvested-facebook-data-triggering-new-outcry-20180320-p4z56d.html
- How Cambridge Analytica harvested Facebook data, triggering new outcry - Sydney Morning Herald https://www.marketwatch.com/story/zuckerberg-saved-tens-of-millions-by-selling-facebook-stock-ahead-of-monday-decline-2018-03-19
- Zuckerberg saved tens of millions of dollars by selling Facebook stock ahead of Monday’s decline - Marketwatch
From their wiki: Cambridge Analytica (CA) is a privately held company that combines data mining and data analysis with strategic communication for the electoral process. It was created in 2013 as an offshoot of its British parent company SCL Group to participate in American politics. In 2014, CA was involved in 44 U.S. political races. The company is partly owned by the family of Robert Mercer, an American hedge-fund manager who supports many politically conservative causes. The firm maintains offices in London, New York City, and Washington, D.C. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Analytica
Notable campaigns that Cambridge Analytica have worked with as per the wiki are Ted Cruz and Donald Trump in the U.S., as well as Nigel Farage and Brexit in the UK. They are currently facing criminal investigations in both of these countries.
They are self-claimed 'political consultants' that offer services such as rebranding and restructuring entire election campaigns, writing party manifestos and conducting surveys, research and analysis. Personally, I see them as the secret rogue surveillance cyberpunk operations unit from futuristic dystopian fantasies, except they exist right now in 2018 and already well and truly underway with the process of entrenching their roots in global politics.
If they have all of the data, they know all the secrets, all the candidates dirt and can hold anyone ransom using that information,they already hold all of the power. Especially when they hold power over those who hold power.
Cambridge Analytica also state they have "different entities" they can subcontract to who are able to bribe political opponents with money, land and "Ukrainian girls."
If it sounds far-fetched, which it certainly did to me, you can watch the video in the article below: https://www.channel4.com/news/cambridge-analytica-revealed-trumps-election-consultants-filmed-saying-they-use-bribes-and-sex-workers-to-entrap-politicians-investigation
Channel 4 in the UK has just released part 3 of their 5 part undercover investigation with Cambridge Analytica. This released when I was well over halfway into writing this article and follows the video above, so I will add it here because it is by far the most important piece of evidence in helping connect all of these dots: https://www.channel4.com/news/exposed-undercover-secrets-of-donald-trump-data-firm-cambridge-analytica
In this video, Alexander Nix claims to have met Donald Trump and to have provided (in regards to the Trump campaign) "all the data, all the analytics, all the targeting, we ran all the digital campaign, the television campaign, and our data informed all the strategy."
Other employees in the video discuss other strategies they employed to secure victories in swing states, how to avoid investigations in to their clients, setting up self-destructing emails using ProtonMail, using shell companies including 'charities' to avoid tracing campaign payments to Cambridge Analytica, their involvement in specific "Defeat Crooked Hillary" attack-ad campaigns and more.
Following the video Cambridge Analytica have suspended Alexander Nix, pending a full investigation. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/ma17/cambridge-analytica-facebook-influence-us-election https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/ma18/facebook-cambridge-analytica-joseph-chancellor-gsr
Facebook has been removing the article below from it's website. This is posted on The Guardian, a very respectable newspaper. It introduces Christopher Wylie, the 27 year old whistleblower data specialist that handed over the raw profile data Cambridge Analytica had collected and has been in hiding until recently.
From the article:
"On 27 February, as part of the same parliamentary inquiry, Rebecca Pow, MP for Taunton Deane, asked Cambridge Analytica’s CEO, Alexander Nix: “Does any of the data come from Facebook?” Nix replied: “We do not work with Facebook data and we do not have Facebook data.”
And through it all, Wylie and I, plus a handful of editors and a small, international group of academics and researchers, have known that – at least in 2014 – that certainly wasn’t the case, because Wylie has the paper trail. In our first phone call, he told me he had the receipts, invoices, emails, legal letters – records that showed how, between June and August 2014, the profiles of more than 50 million Facebook users had been harvested. Most damning of all, he had a letter from Facebook’s own lawyers admitting that Cambridge Analytica had acquired the data illegitimately." https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/ma17/data-war-whistleblower-christopher-wylie-faceook-nix-bannon-trump
If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, you can follow this fantastic comment from Puffin_Fitness
. It provides an excellent timeline with sources that details the depth of the relationship between Russia and Facebook: https://www.reddit.com/politics/comments/85p30j/deletefacebook_movement_gains_steam_after_50/dvz4y6o/
The Internet Research Agency.
To introduce the Internet Research Agency, I must recommend this fantastic article in the NY Times. This article is from 2015 and pre-dates all of the current political madness. I read this prior to Robert Mueller's indictments and was absolutely fascinated. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html
The Internet Research Agency are a Russian consulting firm that are geared towards creating fake user profiles and content to create dissent in online conversation and divide citizens in the U.S. They also aim to create political unrest at protests and spread fake news.
This mega-link breaks down proven cases of 'astroturfing',the name given to the type of work the Internet Research Agency and other paid Russian bot-farms produce: https://np.reddit.com/shills/comments/4kdq7n/astroturfing_information_megathread_revision_8/
Astroturfing occurs on Reddit itself, on Facebook, Twitter, everywhere. As you can see in the link, their influence is not isolated to political discussion.
On February 16, Robert Mueller indicted 13 Russians and 3 Russian entities in relation to interference in the 2016 U.S. Election.
They were "accused of violating U.S criminal laws in order to interfere with U.S. elections and political processes."
The indictment would charge them with "conspiracy to defraud the United States, three defendants with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud, and five defendants with aggravated identity theft." https://www.npr.org/2018/02/16/586500591/grand-jury-indicts-russians-linked-to-interference-in-2016-election https://www.npr.org/2018/02/17/586698361/the-russia-investigations-mueller-indicts-the-internet-research-agency
I am still trying to figure out Russia's end game, but they are absolutely setting themselves up to make a mockery of the United States' security and approach to combating information warfare.
Ultimately this exposes the U.S. and shows Russia to be the real global super power when it comes to fighting on our new digital battlefronts with cutting edge propaganda tools.
In just recent news they are accused of already manipulating local midterms in the U.S. and poisoning a former Russian double-agent spy Sergei Skripal in UK, sending a very clear message to the world that they are quite clearly not to be fucked with, even in Britain. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/us/politics/russia-sees-midterm-elections-as-chance-to-sow-fresh-discord-intelligence-chiefs-warn.html https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/19/17139338/sergei-skripal-poison-russian-spy-uk
Russian media also claimed that Russia had snuck nuclear attack submarines near U.S. bases undetected. https://www.businessinsider.com.au/russia-says-snuck-nuclear-attack-submarines-near-us-bases-unseen-putin-2018-3?r=UK&IR=T
This is a fantastic quote from 26/5/17 courtesy of Jared Kushner, husband of Ivanka Trump and advisor to Donald Trump:
“We found that Facebook and digital targeting were the most effective ways to reach the audiences. After the primary, we started ramping up because we knew that doing a national campaign is different than doing a primary campaign. That was when we formalized the system because we had to ramp up for digital fundraising. We brought in Cambridge Analytica. I called some of my friends from Silicon Valley who were some of the best digital marketers in the world. And I asked them how to scale this stuff. Doing it state by state is not that hard. But scaling is a very, very hard thing. They gave me a lot of their subcontractors and I built in Austin a data hub that would complement the RNC's data hub. We had about 100 people in that office, which nobody knew about, until towards the end. We used that as the nerve center that drove a lot of the deployment of our ground game resources." https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2017/05/26/jared-kushner-in-his-own-words-on-the-trump-data-operation-the-fbi-is-reportedly-probing/#1e115170a90f
Here is a fresh article from 20/3/18 posted on Politico now showing the Trump Campaign trying very hard to distance themselves from Cambridge Analytica. This article came before the video release revealing Alexander Nix discussing Cambridge Analytica's involvement in the 2016 election. The writing is quite clearly on the wall. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/20/trump-campaign-cambridge-analytica-473650
Again in case you missed it, shortly following that article we had this video drop from Channel 4 discussing Cambridge Analytica's involvement in the Trump campaign today. https://www.channel4.com/news/exposed-undercover-secrets-of-donald-trump-data-firm-cambridge-analytica
This link allows you to view Trump campaign expenditures: https://www.opensecrets.org/expends/vendor.php?year=2016&vendor=Cambridge+Analyticayear=2016&vendor=Cambridge+Analytica
This shows approximately $5.9 million dollars in expenditures paid by the Trump Campaign to Cambridge Analytica in 2016. I will let you make your own judgement based on those links and again encourage you to explore yourself.
The conclusion being drawn here is that this using this data, Cambridge Analytica, Facebook, The Internet Research Agency and/or Russian entities and members of the Trump Campaign conspired to meddle with or were complacent in meddling with the 2016 US election. In the process,compromising our personal, national,global and online security and using our own personal information against us without our permission.
I could go on for literally hours -there are so many articles coming out as I type this that I can not even keep this article 'up-to-date' as it is. If you want a good place to start, check out /the_mueller
for almost everything related to the ongoing investigations.
Why all of this matters so much.
One of the most important things we need to think about is that these political campaigns and Cambridge Analytica's partners very likely hold our own personal data, in addition to the governments that end up seizing this data and we don’t know what they might plan to do with it.
From what I have read, we don't know the full extent of the raw profile data that was shared.We only have Mark Zuckerberg's word that it was a limited amount of personal information. I am sure we will find out throughout the course of the investigation.
We need to think about how a candidate that gets elected might choose to use our data against us once in power. For example, you could be held legally accountable for things you said and did years ago, publicly humiliated or lose your employment and home. Another foreign government may have purchased that information and have access to employee records in our places of work, thanks to us all adding our workplace on Facebook. The list goes on.
We can no longer trust corporations and our governments to protect our data, let alone appropriately penalise those who fail to do on such a catastrophic level that allows psychographical profiles of over 50 million people to be built based on the consent of 270,000 users. We were treated as mere metrics on paper influenced by well written headlines and political commentators that don't actually exist, characters that are built to our preference using our own stolen data, and political advertising tailored towards us, paid for in foreign currencies.
They do not care about us,they only care about the single power that we hold: our right to vote. The last power we hold is the one they think they are smart enough to take without us knowing. Cambridge Analytica reportedly spent just 1 million USD obtaining the data they used in the 2016 US election.
Pay attention to the other companies that handle your data. Mobile providers, mobile manufacturers, internet providers, banks, web browsers, web browser extensions, doctors and hospitals, computer part manufacturers, credit card companies, rewards programs, gaming platforms, any cloud services or online file storage services you might use. https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wj7q4b/given-facebooks-privacy-backlash-why-arent-we-angrier-with-the-broadband-industry?utm_source=mbtwitter
- Given Facebook’s Privacy Backlash, Why Aren’t We Angrier With the Broadband Industry? - Motherboard
Don't use free public hotspots. Ever. If you absolutely must, make sure the terms and conditions don't read like these: https://www.reddit.com/melbourne/comments/83k94j/prahran_central_wifi_tcs_are_ridiculous/
Let us not forget about Ajit Pai, the FCC and the U.S. government stripping it's citizens of protections surrounding their freedom to access information and educate themselves. https://www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-what-you-need-know-now
Let us not forget about the Panama Papers, multi-billion dollar tax havens left to rot in shell companies serving as tax loopholes for those who probably just got a nice fat round of tax cuts in the U.S. https://www.icij.org/investigations/panama-papers/explore-panama-papers-key-figures/
Or the Paradise Papers, more or less the same thing. https://www.icij.org/investigations/paradise-papers/explore-politicians-paradise-papers/
Let us not forget about the Equifax scandal that exposed the personal and financial records of 143 million U.S. consumers, or how they didn't announce the breach for up to 5 months, allowing time for the company's top executives to sell their stocks in the company before receiving a public slap on the wrist.
Speaking of Equifax.
This gives us a fantastic example just how long corporations have been using information warfare tactics in the U.S.
From their wiki: In September 2017, Equifax announced a cyber-security breach, which it claims to have occurred between mid-May and July 2017, where cybercriminals accessed approximately 145.5 million U.S. Equifax consumers' personal data, including their full names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and, in some cases, driver license numbers. Equifax also confirmed at least 209,000 consumers' credit card credentials were taken in the attack. On March 1, 2018, Equifax announced that 2.4 million additional U.S. customers were affected by the breach. The company claims to have discovered evidence of the cybercrime event on July 29, 2017. Residents in the United Kingdom and Canada were also impacted.
That is absolutely massive and the scale of impact will affect people and their credit histories for years to come. What's the point of even playing the game anymore when your credit score is frozen and you can’t get another loan for the rest of your life? Not everyone dreams of dying in a rental.
Let us not forget - Equifax was founded in Atlanta, GA, as Retail Credit Company in 1899. The company grew quickly and by 1920 had offices throughout the U.S. and Canada. By the 1960s, Retail Credit Company was one of the nation's largest credit bureaus, holding files on millions of American and Canadian citizens. Even though the company continued to do credit reporting, the majority of their business was making reports to insurance companies when people applied for new insurance policies including life, auto, fire and medical insurance. All of the major insurance companies used RCC to get information on health, habits, morals, use of vehicles and finances. They also investigated insurance claims and made employment reports when people were seeking new jobs. Most of the credit work was then being done by a subsidiary, Retailers Commercial Agency. Retail Credit Company's extensive information holdings, and its willingness to sell them to anyone, attracted criticism of the company in the 1960s and 1970s. These included that it collected "...facts, statistics, inaccuracies and rumors… about virtually every phase of a person's life; his marital troubles, jobs, school history, childhood, sex life, and political activities." The company was also alleged to reward its employees for collecting negative information on consumers. As a result, when the company moved to computerize its records, which would lead to much wider availability of the personal information it held, the U.S. Congress held hearings in 1970. These led to the enactment of the Fair Credit Reporting Act in the same year which gave consumers rights regarding information stored about them in corporate databanks. It is alleged that the hearings prompted the Retail Credit Company to change its name to Equifax in 1975 to improve its image.
You read correctly. Since the 1960's Equifax have been conducting information warfare, albeit a little more old fashioned. They rewarded their employees for collecting information they deemed negative about their customers to add to their 'extensive information holdings’.
Just over 40 years later Equifax have stepped in shit again, this time choosing to pretend it didn't stink while they let 143 million citizens of The United States, The United Kingdom and even Canada's personal credit history get stolen and leaked out by hackers, and subsequently sold and passed around the dark web, to protect stock assets reported to be just over 1 million USD in value, benefiting just a handful of executives at most. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-18/equifax-is-said-to-suffer-a-hack-earlier-than-the-date-disclosed
- Equifax Suffered a Hack Almost Five Months Earlier Than the Date It Disclosed - Bloomberg https://www.wired.com/1995/09/equifax/
- Separating Equifax from Fiction - WIRED https://www.fastcompany.com/40464730/equifax-has-a-super-shady-history-that-might-explain-its-shady-present
- Equifax has a Super Shady History that Might Explain Its Shady Present - Fast Company
If and when that data is compromised, we need to trust that we will at least be told in an appropriate amount of time and take precautions to protect ourselves.
Let us not forget the governments around the world that forget about us, forget about our voice until election time. Even then all we can expect is empty promises and a campaign structured by another faceless entity, driven only by metrics and financial gain.
I will get a bit personal from here:
These corporations are never punished; instead they facilitate a process for them to make political donations in the form of 'lobbying' so they can 'represent their interests'. The system is pay-to-win, or pay for preferential treatment, and we are already priced out of the end-game completely, but they won't admit to that or patch the game because they have already won. Why would they change the very rules that got them there?
I read a comment here on Reddit recently that really struck home with me and has played on my mind for weeks. It read something along the lines of how humans are no longer at the top of the food chain, corporations are. They feed on humans and data, and not even the very top brass of these corporate-mafia hybrid hierarchies are spared on the menu. The political candidates are the puppets and the real masterminds at work are these companies. Now, even our governments and officials bend over backwards to serve the corporation. It eats the planet, it eats the souls inside it and it eats the souls of those in charge. All that matters to the corporation is expansion, profit and gain at the expense of everything it comes in contact with.
We can change the trends, we can make the data irrelevant. It's not futile now -there are decentralized alternatives being explored that put the power back in our hands to own our own identity and our own thought space. Until then, we can make the data they own now worthless, by no longer giving them our data free.. Make sure you understand your personal security and if you aren't sure, ask a geek. Most of love us to help. Above all else, be aware.
I will be back soon with some more regarding privacy and security tips, our responsibilities moving forward, and anything else that might have happened in regards to these revelations. Please share your own sources, privacy resources, tips, links, have this conversation about with your friends and family and make sure they are aware what's going on.
Installing PokeGo++ 2.0 on non-jailbroken iOS devices.
Notes for installing on a non-jailbroken iOS device.
- Download both Cydia Impactor (http://www.cydiaimpactor.com) and the latest tweaked IPA (https;///globalplusplus.com).
- If you have the original Pokémon Go app on your iOS device, remove it from your device. if you are jailbroken
- Connect your iOS device to your computer. Your computer must have iTunes installed. If your computer is not trusted by your device, you should get a prompt to do so - select Trust.
- Open the Cydia Impactor program and ensure that the correct iOS device is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Click and drag the tweaked IPA you downloaded onto Cydia Impactor. It should prompt you for your Apple ID and password and ask for permission to start signing the IPA.
- Once the tweaked IPA is signed, you should see it on your device, but it should not work immediately.
- On your iOS device, open settings, and navigate to General > Device Management / Profiles / Profiles & Device Management. You should see the Apple ID you used to sign the IPA. Click on it and select the option to trust the ID. You should now be able to use the tweaked IPA.
- Please note that you will need to repeat steps 3 to 5 every seven days.
· The tweak must be re-installed every seven days due to restrictions imposed by Apple. However, for re-installation, you need not remove the existing tweaked IPA on your iOS device.
· The tweaked IPA you downloaded should be at least 100 MB in size. If not, the download might have been corrupted, and you should re-download the file.
· The computer you use to install the tweaked IPA must have iTunes installed for Cydia Impactor to work.
· If you get a provision.cpp:150 error, the easiest solution is to create a new Apple ID and use that just for installing the tweaked IPA. Otherwise, see https://www.reddit.com/jailbreak/comments/4w6oftutorial_fixing_the_provisioncpp150_please_sign/
. Sniping with Poke Go++ 2.0.
Sniping is not the same as teleporting for Poke Go++ 2.0. Sniping refers to only catching a specific Pokémon in such a way that avoids a soft-ban. Teleporting refers to jumping to another location.
Cooldown chart NOTE: Is sniping safe? No one knows for sure. Do it at your own risk. Don't ask questions that cannot be reasonably answered. If you want it to be totally safe, please consider playing legitimately instead. Where to find Pokémon coordinates. Please do not copy this list (entirely or in part) and share elsewhere without including a link to either our Discord, Reddit, or website. NOTE: A more updated extensive list is available on the Discord. A. General Discords
- Wait two hours without doing anything (no spinning, catching, feeding or battling, you can however hatch eggs).
- Teleport to a Pokémon you want.
- Catch the Pokémon OR stay in the location and catch/spin/battle. (If you want to continue to snipe, proceed to the next step)
- Wait two hours.
- Teleport home, or to another Pokémon, Raid or Gym. Note: Two hours is absolute maximum cooldown for large jumps. For small jumps, the cooldown will be smaller. Consult the cooldown chart which lists the time you must wait based off how far you want to go.
· Pokedex100: https://discord.gg/txfXsf7
· Global ++ Coordinates(Donor): http://discord.gg/yZNn66 Installing PokeGo++ 2.0 on a jailbroken iOS device
These instructions are now new and different from before. Please make sure to read through.
What are the buttons in Poke Go++ 2.0?
- Make sure Pokémon Go is installed.
- Check installed tweaks and remove xCon and PokePatch if they are installed.
- Open Cydia and add the source http://pokego2.com/. Navigate to sources and click on the PokeGo++ 2.0 repo, open the Tweaks tab, and install PokeGo++ 2.0. If you are on Unc0ver, Electra or Meridian you will Download the Electra version of ++. If you are not you will download the regular ++ version.
- Once PokeGo++ 2.0 is installed and your phone has resprung, open Cydia and go to the Installed tab. Check the recents to confirm that PokeGo++ 2.0 is there.
From top to bottom, on the left:
· Pokeball: Toggles the menu buttons listed below.
· Gear: Opens the settings menu.
· Map: Opens the internal map - which you can use to walk to certain nearby locations.
· IV: IV checker for your Pokémon.
· Flag: Toggles patrol mode - your character will walk around, and gain distance walked for egg hatching. Set your walk speed (below) to 1x or 2x for best results.
· Routing Path: See release notes for 2.0-r17 for details (https://www.reddit.com/PokeGo2/comments/5yreqz/version_204r17_for_12740574_is_out/
) or the associated FAQ.
· Walk Speed (1x/2x/4x/8x/Egg/Custom): Character walk speed. The egg icon is a best guess at the optimized walking speed for egg hatching between 1x and 2x using the patrol function. It should get the most distance in the same amount of time compared to 1x and 2x. You can also set a custom speed in settings.
· Man (Tap to Walk): This enables the character to walk to where you tap on the screen, so you can move without using the joystick. The compass at the top right corner should be set to north (at the 12 o'clock position) for best results. This option must also be disabled when entering gyms as it interferes with the gym mechanics.
· Scope: This opens the sniping function - see the other associated FAQs for more information.
· Cooldown Timer: For setting a preset time of your own. This is for counting down the time so that you know when you are done with a cooldown or softban.
· Return to Previous Location: Self-explanatory!
· H: This hides the menu and joystick. Triple tap to un-hide.
Additionally, while walking around, your character may come across Pokémon that will appear on buttons at the right side of the screen. Click on these Pokémon buttons for your character to walk directly to that Pokémon. What are the settings in the Poke Go++ 2.0 settings menu?
· Language: Set tweak language to other languages. Incomplete but mostly done.
· Fake location: Set to on to allow the movement of your character with the joystick, tap to walk (the man button), or the map walk here function. You can turn this off so that the app functions like the legitimate app and follows your device location.
· Time to save location: Sets the time for the game to save your location for. Any setting but "Startup/Forever" will reset you back to your actual location on startup.
· Forced Location Updates: Will enable GPS location on devices that do not get a GPS signal such as WiFi only iPads.
· Show joystick: Self-explanatory. Note that the compass at the top right corner must be set to north (at the 12 o'clock position) for the joystick movements to match those on the screen. The joystick will not appear unless fake location is turned on.
· Joystick Delta: Edit to move the joystick Y up (+) or down (-), X left or right.
· Dismiss map on “Walk here": If this is set to on, Poke Go++ 2.0 will close the map after walk here is used in the map screen.
· Enable teleport: This enables the teleport function in the in-game map.
· Dismiss map on “Teleport here": If this is set to on, Poke Go++ 2.0 will close the map after teleport here is used in the map screen.
· Enhanced Throw: Donor + Jailbreak only. Will give great or excellent catch bonuses after the catch randomly. On raid bosses the throw is always excellent.
· Hide Gym Mode Button: Donor Only. When enabled you will no longer see the blue "Gym Mode" button when entering gym mode. To enable gym mode press and hold for 10 seconds on the screen. To get out of gym mode press and hold for another 10 seconds.
· Disable IV Notification: Removes the notification bar at the top of the screen with IV and other information when entering the capture screen for Pokémon.
· Special Pokémon List: Donor + Jailbreak only. Upon game restart this option will rename the Pokémon in your bag to their IV and move set. To disable it toggle it off in settings and restart your game.
· Custom Speed: Set your custom speed with a value of between 0-16. can include decimals. When set change the speed setting until you get to a torso with a head (after Egg speed)
· IV notification length: This sets how long the notification bar will stay around after encountering a Pokémon.
· Show coords button on map: This enables a button in the in-game map that allows you to get the coordinates of where the map pointer is.
· Enable Radar ...: Enable this to allow the option to fetch data for stops, gyms, and Pokémon data for the map.
· Hide ... button: Hides the toggled button from the dropdown menu.
· Coordinates server feed: See the other FAQ for more information. Where can one nest data?
· https://thesilphroad.com/atlas Teleporting with Poke Go++ 2.0.
For Poke Go++ 2.0, teleporting is not the same as sniping. The sniping function is based on the method above, which is dependent on you having a base location to snipe from, so all your actions are effectively in the same place. Teleporting, on the other hand, could be described as simply moving to and staying at a new location. So, if the latter is what you want, use the teleport function and steps outlined below. You can also use this teleport function on the log-in screen when you are logged out if you would like to log-in directly at a new location.
- In settings, turn on fake location on, save location to forever, and enable teleport.
- Open the in-game map and find a location you want to teleport to.
- Select teleport here.
- You will be at your new location - if you want to be safe you can wait out for a time period equivalent to the flight time from your old location to your new location.
- A restart of the app is suggested but may not be necessary.
Please note that this is not sniping, but just teleporting. You will likely face an extended soft-ban (after the teleport) before you can do anything in-game. Wait out the soft-ban, which can take a couple of hours - see the timer chart elsewhere in this thread.
Alternatively, if you want to teleport using coordinates:
NOTE: As should be clear, you teleport at your own risk. Asking if it is safe to do so is asking an impossible question. If you want it to be totally safe, please consider playing legitimately instead. Does Poke Go++ 2.0 work with the Pokémon Go Plus?
- Set fake location to on and time to save location to forever.
- Open the snipe function. Enter your coordinates of choice and continue.
- Once at the target destination, force close and restart the app.
· The Go Plus should work with both JB and non-JB from r27 onwards. The Gotcha will also work. Does Poke Go++ 2.0 work with the Apple Watch app?
· Currently only spinning stops on the watch works.
· If you are getting the GPS signal not found error or if the joystick doesn't work even after enabling Fake Location and restarting, ensure that your Apple Watch does not have the app installed.
· Support may or may not be included in the future, but most likely not. In our view, this is a luxury feature that most of our users will not be able to take advantage of, and we would rather focus on the other aspects of ++ that all users can use. Does Poke Go++ 2.0 work with iPhone 5 and lower
· As of r63, 32-bit devices are no longer supported by Niantic's Pokémon Go. Since our tweak is layered onto the Niantic app, this also means that Poke Go++ 2.0 will obviously not work on 32-bit devices.
· 32-bit devices that are no longer supported by Niantic: iPhone 5 and older, iPhone 5C, iPad Mini (First-Gen), iPad (4G and older), iPod Touch (5G and older). How can I buy coins in PokeGo++ 2.0?
If you are non-JB, you will have to use the official Pokémon Go app. You have three options. One, try using an alternative device with the official app; or Two, do the following on the same device:
- Delete PokeGo++ 2.0.
- Install the official app and buy coins.
- Delete the official app and install PokeGo++ 2.0.
NOTE: This only applies to non-JB users. IV Checking.
IV on Jailed non-jailbroken devices is a Donor Perk. However, the MITM method works for both jailed and jailbroken iPhones. What is the coordinates server feed?
Please see the documentation in the #announcements in the Discord.
The coordinates server feed allows Poke Go++ 2.0 to get coordinates from a source. Users can build their own automated list of Pokémon coordinates into the format documented and access these coordinates directly within Poke Go++ 2.0, making for easier sniping. You can choose to load up to 5 URLs if you are a donor, and 1 if you are a free user.
Once a coord list has been loaded, the option will be available when you click on the snipe button, which gives the list of coordinates. Use the crosshairs to snipe Pokémon from the list, and the sniping procedure should follow. https://knowledge.globalplusplus.com/ Note: You can also create a coords list consisting of favorite teleport locations and use that to keep track of your favorite locations. Creating and entering a routing path.
Here is a method to create a GPX route for the routing path function. In general terms...
- Use http://www.geoplaner.com/ or http://gpxgenerator.com/ and build a route. This site creates GPX files that include elevation, which is good to have.
- For efficient looping, make sure you close your loop such that your route returns you to your starting point (the first point is the same as the last point).
- Download the WPTs (geoplaner) and open the file in Notepad or generate the GPX (gpxgenerator).
- Copy the GPX code you end up with and paste the GPX code into PokeGo++ 2.0's GPX route editor.
- Before you start your route, it is probably ideal to make sure you are near your starting point. So, if you are not, you may want to teleport to your starting point.
- Click start and observe your avatar walking the route!
As an example, here is a route in Melbourne, AUS. Teleport to -37.81481,144.96896 and use the following GPX code:
Potential fix for constant crashes and crashes on launch for JB devices.
First try either of the following:
· Uninstall the tweak, application, and dependencies, then respring. Use iCleaner to clear the cache, then respring. Then install the tweak, dependencies, then the application last. Donation FAQ. Donor Benefits:
Donor Features include (Our donor versions are working in all our tweaks. You DO NOT
have to donate for each tweak separately):
- GPX Routing: PokeGo++ 2.0 will walk your character following a GPX route you enter.
- Auto Generate GPX
- Teleporting in Pokémon GO++
- Enhanced Throw (Pokémon GO++ + Jailbreak only): If enabled, Raid Boss captures will always throw Excellent throw maximizing success rate
- Extra coordinate lists: 4 more lists to help with your sniping.
- Partner Coord Feeds: Partner Coord Program (PCP), we have opened our sniping tool to various coords providers who wish to partake.
- Hide Gym Mode Button (Incognito): gives you the ability to hide the Gym mode button when activated. This is a donor only feature. Please be sure to hold the screen for 10 seconds to activate/deactivate.
- Special Pokémon List (Pokémon GO++ + Jailbreak only): This feature requires you to restart the app when enabled/disabled. If enabled, we will override the nickname of all mons in your list with their IV and move set.
- Exclusive gyms and raids coords lists: You can search for all raids including level, start time, end time, Pokémon and CP within a target radius. This is important now that legendaries are released as raid bosses.
- Exclusive nest coords list: You can search for hotspots with Pokémon that match your filter criteria. You can look for areas with the most :100: Pokémon, with the most Pokémon that could be shiny, ...
- JWAlive++: Only Donors can use our tweak for Jurassic World Alive
- Magus++/ Only Donors can use our tweak for Maguss
- WalkingDead++: Only Donors can use our tweak for Walking Dead Our World
- Other features to come...
Discord or Patreon
In order to activate using the new Donor system, make sure you are on the updated version and then do the following: DISCORD
- Go to ++ settings (gear icon) and tap "Activate Donor Version" at the top in red.
- A Safari window will appear - login to your Discord account and authorize. Remember, a Discord account is required.
- The Safari window will direct to a page with 3 options.
- Choose which game you are trying to activate (for example, PokeGo++) and follow the prompt to open the app you chose.
- Tap "Open" and the activation mechanism should follow.
Note: If you are jailbroken, you will need to do the plist edit for deep-linking in order for deep-linking to work. The guide for that can be found in this thread. Donor - Common issues.
· White screen and app crash on activation attempt: This was a known bug that has been fixed. Otherwise, reduce RAM usage on device and retry.
· Activation popup saying not a donor: You may have logged in with the wrong Discord account. Log into the wrong Discord account on PC, go to user settings > connections > authorized apps and revoke PokeGo++ 2.0. Then try again with the correct account. Otherwise, the authorization server may be down, please try again in a bit.
In order to activate using the new Donor system, make sure you are on the updated version and then do the following: PATREON
- Make sure your pledge is $5 and active, if you pause it you will not be able to activate
2)Enable Patreon's Two Factor Authentication (2FA) -login to your Patreon Account, Profile > Settings > Account -scroll down to Enable SMS Two Factor Authentication
3)Make sure your Safari Browser is NOT
on Private Mode, also close all the open tabs you have in Safari.
4) Now restart the game and follow the Activation Steps: -Tap Activate with Patreon -Log in to Patreon if needed then Tap "Allow" -Hit the "Copy" button under the Key/Code to copy it. -Return to the game, tweak settings -Paste the Key in the field named "KEY"
-Tap Activate with Patreon again (VERY IMPORTANT STEP) NOTE: If you still cannot activate then:
5) Log in to your Patreon Account -Membership -Global ++ -Edit Pledge -Scroll down and tap "UPDATE"
-Repeat step # 4 What is PokeGo++ 2.0?
· It is a tweak for the Pokemon Go app that is overlaid / attached to the app.
· Bot actions (such as automated spinning and catching) and bot features are therefore not applicable for PokeGo++ 2.0. Bot features are also therefore not necessarily feasible, and what might work with bots may not work with the original Pokémon Go app.
· However, as long as the underlying Pokémon Go app is updated, the tweak is generally not affected by server-side changes.
· As such, we do not depend on the API or hashing keys.
· The tweak allows players to walk their character in-game with a joystick. Additionally, it also includes a IV checker (down at the moment due to Niantic changes within the Pokémon Go app) as well as other features.
· The tweak is based on the original Pokémon Go Anywhere / Pogo++ tweak. Remember, folks: This is a third-party tweak. You use it at your own risk - so please don't ask if it is safe because we cannot guarantee it is 100% safe - and besides, what exactly is safe? All we can tell you is that we have users who have been using this or its predecessor for a long time with no issues, but keep in mind that past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance. Choose your own risk level - if you want it to be completely safe, maybe you should play legitimately instead. Similarly, asking if the new update is safe or not makes no sense.
Please also note that the tweak is provided as-is. We cannot guarantee that it will work flawlessly, and though we will do our best to help, there may be circumstances where we are unable to. What are the buttons in the in-game map?
· Locate (bottom left): Focuses the map on your character's current location.
· Nearby Pokémon scanner list (bottom right): Brings up a list of nearby Pokémon that you can choose to move to. You can filter this in the top right of the list screen.
· Walk here / Teleport here: self-explanatory. Teleport here only appears if it is set to on in the settings menu.
· Favorite locations (black globe, top right): You can save your current map locations to favorites here with the plus sign at the top right. An import list where coordinates of your favorite locations can be typed in is also available.
· Teleport to coordinates (below favorite locations): Teleport setting required. This allows you to teleport to a set of coordinates.
· Coordinates of location on map (below teleport to coordinates): This button brings up the coordinates of the map pointer. These coordinates can be copied.
· Map data fetch (last of the four on the right): Work in progress. Click to fetch map data from server.
· Radar settings (gear, top right): These are settings for the map, see below. The radar settings are as follows:
· Favorite Pokémon: Set favorite Pokémon to display on the right-hand side when they appear near you.
· Common Pokémon: Set common Pokémon to hide on the right-hand side when they appear near you.
· Restore Purchases: Ignore this, please.
· Pokestops: Shows Pokestops around you on the map.
· Gyms: Shows gyms around you on the map. Click the gyms to see gym's prestige and top Pokémon.
· Hide Common: Hide the common Pokémon selected in the Common Pokémon settings.
· Show Only Favorite: Set to show only the favorite Pokémon’s selected in the Favorite Pokémon settings.
· Show Distance, Show Time, Show Timer instead of Time: These affect the Pokémon displayed on the in-game map.
We recommend limiting the number of types of Pokémon to show. Showing all the Pokémon can lead to crashes due to the large amount of processing power and memory it might require.
If you see Pokémon appear on the map, the outer rings of the icons indicate the IV level of the Pokémon. If the ring is gray, the IV is unknown. The IVs increase from red to blue, with light blue being 100%.